Sunday 8 October 2017

Invited

a confession, a lament, and an acceptance of grace

Matthew 22:1–14




1. Confession

I am invited to a banquet,
but I decline, instead
to work in my own interest,
seeking profit, power, prestige;
to focus on my survival,
as if it depends on me alone.

I am invited to a banquet,
but I decline: I do not see
the invitation as worthy
of my attention or attendance;
I treat the messengers with all
contempt and do them harm,
then walk away.

I am invited to a banquet,
I accept, but do not dress,
do not present myself as grateful
for the invitation, or the feast.

I am invited.
I have the freedom
to disregard the invitation,
and I will remain outside in my
arrogance and greed, my inability to heed
the gravity of the choice to join in the feast or go
hungry,
oh, so hungry.


2. Lament

I invite you to my banquet,
but you decline, insist
on doing this without me,
going your own way.

I invite you to my banquet,
want you here to celebrate,
to feed your hunger, quench
your thirst, but you will turn away.

I welcome you to my banquet,
and you enter all entitled, clothe
yourself with disrespect and I
am wounded, spill my blood upon the floor.


3. Acceptance of grace

We accept the invitation, here
to feast in joy and celebration,
in this moment take the posture
of gratitude and awe; we are invited,
we are accepted, we are welcomed
in grace and love, and we accept.

Together: We are invited, we are accepted,
we are welcomed in grace and love:
and we accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment